The Meditators was founded in 1991 currently comprises of 7 full time members. Ras Shante Bekwa(Mayville) is the band leader , composer and vocalist and lead guitarist with the band. The remaining full time members are: Ras Dan Kheta Msomi , guitar and vocals(Lamontville), Ras Bunny Nathi Mkhize, drums (Clermont), Ras Sfiso Mpanza, keyboards/vocals/percussion (Clermont), Ras Simphiwe Mthembu , trombone/vocals (Mayville), Ras Barret Thabani Hlela, bass guitar (Clermont) and Alberto Chemane, percussion/drums (Mocambique).
“tacklin’ beast by the horns’ – 1991
Break down Chains – 2000
Jah Kingdom – 2008
Special Request – 2011
New Album Your love, my love – currently in post production stage.
Performance Highlights include:
- Support/Curtainraisers – Rita Marley and the I-Threes 2004 Womans Day Celebration,
- Linton Kwesi Johnson – 2nd May 2009, Durban City Hall. Support –
- Lucky Dube Tribute events and host of Annual Bob Marley Earthday Celebrations at uShaka Marine World, February 2009/10/11/12.
- Splashy Fen Drakensburg Music Festival, 2009/2010,
- Fifa World Cup performances at NorthBeach Fan Park, King Zwelithini Stadium, Umlazi and Bridgetown Fan Park, KwaMashu.
- The Meditators have participated as Service Providers in partnership with eThekweni Municipality for Celebrate Durban 2007/2008/2009 and hosted KZN Cultural Showcase at Durban International Music Festival, ICC Durban for Heritage Day 24th Sept. 2010 and hosted International reggae superstars Tony Rebel and Queen Ifrika from JAMAICA in 2011.
- Smaller local music festivals that the band has performed at include Uprising Music Festival (Gateway 2009), Spogweni Flem Music Festival 2012, Zini Music Fest 2010/2011/2012.
- Botanic Gardens Pietermaritzburg invited The Meditators to open up for The Parlotones in 2011, while Durbans Botanic Gardens hosted The Meditators as the opening act for MANGO GROOVE 2012, and JEREMY LOOPS in August 2013. The Meditators currently perform regularly at BeachBums, Westbrook Beach every Saturday from 1pm- 5pm and every Sunday at Wahooz, uShaka Marine World from 12-5pm.
The Meditators were thrilled to perform as backing band for Nkulee Dube, (daughter of Lucky Dube) at the Annual Bob Marley Earthday Celebrations 2013 hosted by The Meditators in partnership with uShaka Marine World . This event started in 2008 and we look forward to next years event being the biggest yet!
The Meditators are dearly loved in Durban and have received international exposure by performing regularly at uShaka Marine World for the last 10 years, which is one of the main local and international tourist destinations in KZN and are known as one of the hardest working bands in the country. The band promotes clean, positive and healthy living through the music and embodies the principle of ONELOVE in action, as the band considers itself to be a family and all friends fans and supporters are regarded as part of the family!
The band’s sister company , Big Up Sound Productions based in Jacobs, Durban KZN, is The Meditators recording studio/Offic e and rehearsal venue.
The Meditators are available for private and Corporate functions and Festivals.
Contact: Free Haine +27 827581411
« Back to Glossary Index